google analetics

Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Monster

One spring evening I was walking a meandering path through a vast garden like field of deep green grass and bright yellow flowers when I decided to wander off the path in favor of the soft, gently blowing grass and a closer experience with the fragrant flowers. An orange sunset was at my back when I suddenly stumbled and fell over what I thought was a rock. As I fell the rock seemed to rise from the ground to tower over my prone figure. When the now towering rock stared at me through a large acid yellow eye I somehow knew I was looking at a monster. The quizzical cock of the head is the only thing that kept me from fleeing, that and the fact that the monster had pinned me to the ground with his massive walking stick. With some relief the monster smiled, if one can call thick gray lips suddenly expanding in an upward fashion exposing brightly polished yellow front teeth and if I may add, sharp teeth. My agitation increased again when the creature pulled a big sharp looking stick from a large breast pocket. I am now thinking that I will be permanently pinned to the ground like a beetle in a natural history museum. Then the smile became even broader and the monster began picking large chunks of meat from hidden teeth at the back of his mouth, a mouth, despite the polished look had a stench that wilted the lush flowers around my prone body. At about this time the light began to fade or was I passing out, this I figured might be a problem either way. I definitely did not want to deal with a monster after sunset. I then began to feel as if a spell, like I knew what a spell was, was being cast over me when the scene before and around me began to fade into swirling disconnected images of fields, flowers and lazy clouds. Finally after a troubled night of odd dreams of large creatures, dawn arrived with light streaming through a bedroom window. I stretched my muscles, threw off my yellow flowered green comforter and crawled out of bed to stretch again. To be continued.
4/19/08
   Dreams fade.
   The day was off to a great start with the smell of coffee mingling with the fragrance of spring flowers. I sat at a white enameled table with red trim and silver legs sipping at my hot coffee, warmth that was keeping the cool but pleasant morning breeze that filtered through fluttering drapes at the kitchen window at bay. A window that, between fluttering curtains, exposed a world that I knew well having grown up here. Being retired and in good health I pondered the days tasks, I spent a goodly time in this mental task, no point in rushing life. The thoughts flowed, the coffee good and the scene out window was somehow different from what I knew to be my world, a thought that faded as I decided to have a stroll in the gardens in order to check on what needs doing. My favorite spring jacket and hat were hanging by the back door where I hung them the day before. I put on the jacket and donned my hat and grabbed my staff as I opened the door to walk onto the creaky back porch I noticed there was a quality to the diamond willow walking staff that gave me added energy an energy that was not there before. As I step into an expanding view of nature the pleasantries of coffee are replaced by a wash of olfactory reminders of the power of spring.
   The natural sounds of the outdoors mingle with the creak of old wood porch planks as I head for the steps leading to the garden. Pausing at the steps I  take in the view of my world a world I am very fond of.
    April showers must have been good, the flower garden looks great even thought I do let it grow a little wild, must be part of my nature like the land around me.
   For reasons unknown to me I live a solitary life in the foot hills east of a mountain range with high jagged peaks. I have often dreamed and thought about what was on the far side of the mountains but alas I have not the mountaineering skills needed to explore such a region. My life is so solitary that I do not remember the last time I saw another being besides the beasts and flying creatures some of which I hunt and preserve for the harsh winters in these parts......

No comments: