google analetics

Sunday, August 22, 2010

broke... down... not out yet

I am the proud owner of a 2002 Dell computer with the original 5 GB hard drive, 512 RAM (installed spare RAM from other junk towers). This Dell like all my computers since 1998 have been used units. The operating system is windows XP professional and that takes up app. 3/4 of the hard drives 5 GB of space, not good. So I installed a used 10 GB slave drive to run various programs. The tower did not have a slot for an extra drive so I had to cut some card stock to place around the HD to keep it from touching sensitive spots.
   So far so good; the bad bits. This Dell does not run videos, will not load win SP 2 or 3, will not run various programs due to the SP problem and there are a multitude of app's that I need to run other software that can not be installed. For instance I decided that using ICLOUD would be a good way to get around some of these problems, well, NOT, need an app for that too...
   I do have an old Dell laptop with win XP, SP 3 and most the win net stuff etc.. with a 20 GB HD. However a couple days ago, the day Michelle cooked her car, The Dell laptop had a meltdown to. So I was left with no way to view videos or manipulate images, Gimp needs SP 2. I did locate a freeware image processing program that does work and quite well too, (PhotoScape), solving one problem.
   Michelle uses her car like a large ashtray and treats the car like a gift from God and that God will take care of the car for her! There is, I believe, something about trying to help yourself first, isn't there? 
   Off to the net to look for more open source/freeware programs and applications to help me get up and running at a slow walk on this computer.
   The word is out for another used tower...

No comments: